“I’ve looked at this passage a hundred times, but today it hit me between the eyes as if it was the first time I’ve ever read it!”
Hopefully we’ve all experienced this when reading God’s word. The Holy Spirit draws a truth out at just the right time and when we need it most. This is the concentric learning principal at work. We need to remember as teachers that it’s not our brilliant communication skills that transform lives – it’s God’s word and His Spirit. When we are faithful to bring to our folks what may seem “basic”, “over-taught”, or “old hat,” God can pair His truth with crises, stage of life and other teachable moments to bring about something revolutionary in the lives of our people. When we fall into the trap of clamoring for curriculum that’s “deeper” or scripture that’s more obscure than what we were taught as children, we are putting our eggs in the wrong basket. We do want to prepare, we do want to have solid curriculum, but we want God to work in ways that only He can.
So how do we capitalize on this learning method as teachers?
- Prayerfully prepare – ask God to help you be sensitive and aware of what the people in your class are going through and that you would bring out points that would speak directly to what individuals might need to hear.
- Provide time for conversation (whether virtual through email and Facebook, or in class) – take time to discuss what people are dealing with.
- Put a high value on real world application in your teaching.
Remember that God grows us in stages. Some of that might be due to what we’re going through and some of it might be due to the receptiveness of our heart at the moment. So be expectant in your teaching, knowing that God can take your offering and use it powerfully to impact lives. His word will not return void.
- Keep up with your classes contacts and pass on your reports to us.
- Join us for our biscuit breakfast meeting on January 7 at 8:45am in Gary Thomas’ class room. Email Missy your biscuit order (plain, tenderloin, chicken, or sausage).
- Make sure to join us (and have your care group leaders come as well) at the January 12-13 SS Leadership training with Allan Taylor here at the church. RSVP with Missy.